Saturday, April 19, 2008

Kementian News 04-20-08 Edition

Howdy everyone!

David had an idea while he and Tammy were on vacation a couple weeks ago. The idea was to come up with some flashlights that could be loaned to the local people so that evening meetings could be held at the church. At present no one would come to a evening meeting unless there is going to be a sleep-over or someone loans them a light as most people don't have flashlights at all.

The title applied to this project is Let There Be Light.

So the first question is, where are we going to find flashlights that fit the requirements (cheap, simple to operate, few parts for the people to take apart, long battery life, durable)?

To answer this question, strap on your time machine and we'll jump back to early February at SWAU where they are packing the Valentine's packages for the SMs. Many goodies were included in these packages, but the item we are looking for is a Pak-Lite. Its a flashlight that was designed and created by a class-mate of my brothers that is quite simply, two LEDs attached to the top of a 9volt battery. Simple, durable, cheap.

Fast forward the three weeks it takes for a small package to arrive via USPS and that flashlight (as well as all the tasty food items) was a hit. Everyone on the project was quite fascinated with the little light. So when David had this idea for the Let There Be Light project, this flashlight was the first thing that popped into his head. On poking around the website for Pak-Lite's <http://www.9voltlight.com> he found the basic model running just shy of $13 each. Multiplying that $13 times the approximately 30 that David feels we need to properly start this project and you come up with a number thats awfully close to $400. Where is $400 going to come from?

On Monday evening of last week, David mentioned this idea to the rest of the team as we were enjoying some yummy food. He mentioned that he wasn't sure where the money was going to come from. As I sat there and listened to his story and the amount needed, I was reminded of an email I'd received the week prior.

Apparently, after I'd already arrive here on Palawan, my church had some additional funds donated towards the fund raising that I was doing to allow me to come over here. The email asked what I wanted to do with this money. I replied that I would ask and see what was needed on the project. I was expecting the George's to come in the following day, but as it turned out, they didn't end up coming back in from the lowlands at all. So I didn't get to ask them. I was intending to reply again with instructions to sit on the money and I'd purchase a few items that I felt were needed when I got home and send them over, but I forgot to send that email three days in a row.

Oh, I guess you're probably wondering about how much money was donated "late". It was $400.

So here we have God answering prayers months prior to the idea even being formed, both in the case of the flashlight itself and the money to make the purchase. Just a little reminder of Isaiah 65:24 "...Before they call, I will answer..." Yup, God is still alive and working for his children, even before we know what He's doing for us!


I'll be leaving the mountains next Sunday (Apr 27). Will arrive in Manila on April 30th where I'll spend a few days then arrive at DFW on the evening of May 5th.


A little good news from home to pass along, my "little" brother found his Miss Right and she's agreed to marry him. If you want all the juicy details, you'll have to talk to him, or even better, talk with her.

A big congrats to Larry and Alex!


Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers!

Nathan

No comments: